EA300B: Children’s Literature (II)
TMA: Semester 1, 2016 - 2017
TMA: 20 points
Cut-off date: week 11
December 03-08, 2016
Length: 2000 words
Choose a double page spread from each of Voices in the Park and The Tale of Peter Rabbit. Compare and contrast the work of author-illustrators Anthony Browne and Beatrix Potter, in particular the interplay they create between text and image.
In this assignment, you are asked to provide a detailed, comparative analysis of specific pages from the two set picturebooks, focusing in particular on a central and crucial feature in picturebook narratives: the way in which each author-illustrator creates particular effects through the interplay between text and image. In contrasting the work of the two author-illustrators, you may wish to include a comparison between the historical contexts of the two books in relation to the content and stylistic features of the pages you have discussed, including any uses of intertextuality or perhaps other aspects of postmodernism that you have found.
In preparing for the assignment, review Block 5 weeks 21-22. Other important resources are: the essays by Moebius on graphic codes and Goldstone on postmodern developments, Reader 1, Approaches and Territories; DVD 2 no. 6 ‘An introduction to illustration: Martin Salisbury’, and no. 7 ‘Interview with Anthony Browne’; and Part 3 of the DVD-ROM.
Note: You may, if you wish, scan images for inclusion in your assignment, as relevant.
A thesis statement and a proper logical presentation of ideas are necessary.
To do this TMA, you will need to do the following steps:
1. Plan your essay ahead of time by writing a plan highlighting the main points you intend to cover.
2. Write a thesis statement stating your argument to be included in the first page of your essay.
3. Your analytical comments should follow every time you quote from the material you refer to.
4. Reference to critical material related to this topic is a must. (You should refer to at least 3 critical works).
5. You should refer and quote from the course’s audiovisual material whenever possible. The audiovisual material should be well integrated in your essay.
6. At this stage, you are expected to know how to paraphrase and synthesize the material you read, using your own words as much as possible. You still have to quote and use quotation marks in the right annotation methods you learned from your tutors.
7. Make sure you ask your tutors in class and during their office hours for further clarifications.
Using the e-library on campus:
Students are requested to visit the e-library on campus and use it to do their TMAs properly. They are also requested to show their tutor that they used the e-library in doing the TMA by referring to some articles they have read. Students who fail to use and refer to material from the e-library will subsequently lose some marks.
The following are guidelines on plagiarism:
If you submit an assignment that contains work other than yours without acknowledging your sources, you are committing plagiarism. This might occur when:
• Using a sentence or phrase that you have come across
• Copying word-for-word directly from a text
• Paraphrasing the words from the text very closely
• Using text downloaded from the Internet
• Borrowing statistics or assembled facts from another person or source
• Copying or downloading figures, photographs, pictures or diagrams without acknowledging your sources
• Copying from the notes or essays of a fellow student
حلول جميع الواجبات
موبايل – واتس أب
حلول مضمونة لجميع الواجبات ومشاريع التخرج
حلول الواجبات غير مكررة ونسبة التشابه أقل من 10%