Arab Open University
Faculty of Business Studies
B628: Managing1: Organizations and people
First semester - Fall 2017
Tutor-Marked Assignment, TMA
Cut-off date 4/12/2017
This tutor-marked assignment variedly draws from chapters 1,2,5,6, and 8 . It consists of four (4) questions and accounts for 20% of the total grade assigned to the course. This assignment will be graded out of 100 marks.
N.B: Your grade will be subject to grade deductions if you did not comply with the following criteria:
• Proper referencing (Harvard referencing) - Deductions could be up to 5 %.
• In-text referencing- Deductions could be up to 5 %.
• Adherence to specified word count – Deductions could be up to 5 %.
• Use of the E-library/External resources – Deductions could be up to 5 %.
In this TMA, you need to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the importance of the internal business workings. In short, what and how effective leaders should do?, types of leadership styles usually adopted and under what situations, differences between leaders and managers, managing people approaches ( communication, motivation, training and development) that should be used in organizations and the effect of such approaches to outcome.
In your answer, you should show critical, analytical and justification skills of the subject matter, rather than mere description. Your answer should be within the specified range of words and you must follow the Harvard Style of Referencing. You should present a well-structured and organized piece of work that is of your own creation.
Plagiarism will not be tolerated and plagiarized work will receive Zero marks.
Managers and Leaders : Are They Different?
An organization analysis
1. You are required to pick a local organization in your country. If you choose to analyze a very large organization, pick one department or an office (some sub-unit of the organization) on which to focus your analysis. This company offered you an opportunity to be assigned as a section manager in addition of being assigned to lead a team group to find new opportunities for the company and you are asked to prepare an outline report of your views on the new job. The purpose of the assignment is to develop your ability to use the conceptual frameworks, theories, practices, models and tools that have are taught in B628 course and to apply them to real world organizations.
2. The use of the material from below three sources is expected:-
(1) Abraham Zalenzik article: Managers and Leaders: Are They Different?
(2) Ali Algahtani article: Are Leadership and Management Different?
(3) B628 course material
N.B: Based on your understanding of the two articles and B628 related concepts and theories answer the followings questions in an essay form:
Question 1 (25 marks-600 words)
Explain why leaders and managers are different. Analyze the types of leadership skills and managerial skills that may be needed in organizations. Explain why different work types may require different skills and traits. Illustrate with examples.
Question 2 (25 marks-600 words)
Critically discuss approaches to motivation you may apply as a manager /or a leader in the organization to increase employee and team groups engagement, performance and commitment. Explain techniques that should be used to avoid employees demotivation.
Question 3 (25 marks-600 words)
Evaluate communication processes you may use to secure smooth running of information exchange. Discuss the channels you think are most effective in overcoming barriers.
Question 4 (25 mark-600 word)
Explain the main categories of information that you may need in the organization. What information system you think it will be most effective in the organization. Specify the inputs, transformation processes and outputs.
End of TMA questions
حلول جميع الواجبات
موبايل – واتس أب
حلول مضمونة لجميع الواجبات ومشاريع التخرج
حلول الواجبات غير مكررة ونسبة التشابه أقل من 10%